How can I enroll?
- You may enroll within the first 120 days of becoming a New Jersey School Administrator without proof of good health (pre-existing condition limitation still applies).
- During School Visit Enrollments, typically once every three years, you may enroll within 60 days of the meeting without proof of good health (pre-existing condition limitation still applies).
- Enrollment outside of a School Visit Enrollment requires proof of good health that could include medical tests (pre-existing condition limitations applies). If you are denied coverage, you may still enroll during a subsequent School Visit Enrollment in your building.
How can I get answers to my questions about my plan?
- Educators Insurance Services representatives are available to answer your questions at 800.913.8631, option 3.
Is pregnancy covered?
- Yes, it is treated as any other sickness. A disability that begins in the first 12 months and is due to a pre-existing condition is excluded.
When will my coverage be effective?
- Your effective date is the first of the month after one full monthly deduction has been made.
When do my benefits begin?
- Benefits begin after you have satisfied your elimination period.
What is an elimination period?
- It is the number of days at the beginning of your disability before benefits begin.
Do only school days count?
- No, benefits are paid 365 days a year (except for the optional Sick Leave Coordinated Plan). Therefore, weekends, holidays and the summer are all included.
Can I transfer my coverage?
- Yes, you may transfer your coverage between New Jersey school districts. Please contact us to help you in your move to your new employer.
What happens to my coverage at age 65 and beyond?
- New Extended Disability Plan
- Benefits for disability beyond age 65 for disabilities beginning on or after age 60 are based upon the Federal Age Discrimination Act.
- Short Term Disability and Sick Leave Coordinated Plans
- Age has no effect on the benefits of these two plans.
How can I apply for benefits?
- To receive benefits, please call 800.913.8631, option 1, to report your disability directly to Prudential’s claims department.
Can my benefits be reduced?
- New Extended Disability Plan
- Yes, benefits are reduced by Worker’s Compensation, Social Security Disability and your pension benefits.
- Short Term Disability Plan
- Yes, benefits are reduced by Worker’s Compensation.
- Sick Leave Coordinated Plan
- No, benefits are not reduced by other sources of income. Benefits are paid once accumulated sick leave has been exhausted.
What is a pre-existing condition?
- A pre-existing condition is one that was diagnosed or treated during the three months prior to the effective date of your coverage.
How does a pre-existing condition affect my benefits?
- A disability that begins in the first 12 months and is due to a pre-existing condition is excluded.
How does the pre-existing condition limitation affect me if I’m changing my plan?
- The pre-existing condition limitation only applies to the increase(s) in your plan.
Who administers the program?
- The group disability insurance program is issued by The Prudential Insurance Company of America, Newark, NJ.